The ACLS Provider Course provides the knowledge and skills needed to evaluate and manage the first 10 minutes of an adult ventricular fibrillation/ventricular tachycardia (VF/VT) arrest. Providers are expected to learn to manage 10 core ACLS cases: a respiratory emergency, four types of cardiac arrest (simple VF/VT, complex VF/VT, PEA and asystole), four types of pre-arrest emergencies (bradycardia, stable tachycardia, unstable tachycardia and acute coronary syndromes) and stroke.
This one-day course is to allow the healthcare professional who has previously been successful in an ACLS course to refresh and update their knowledge and skills.
Course Length: 8 hours
Personnel staffing emergency, intensive care or critical care departments; emergency medical providers such as physicians, nurses, emergency technicians, paramedics, respiratory therapists and other professionals who may respond to a cardiovascular emergency.
The 1-day Update is intended to serve as a refresher course for providers that have successfully completed an ACLS course in the past 3 years and feel comfortable with their skills. The 1-day update is not suitable for providers who are taking their first ACLS course, or others who need more practice to update their skills.
ACLS Provider Update Prerequisites:
• Heart & Stroke Foundation of Canada Basic Life Support for Healthcare Provider-Level C CPR current within the last year. You must present your card at the ACLS Provider Renewal course.
• Current registration as a healthcare professional including physicians, paramedics, nurses, respiratory therapists, dentists and military levels QL5 and above.
• Successful completion of an ACLS course in the past 3 years.
• ACLS Provider Manual and CD-ROM, Required
• ECC Handbook, Strongly Recommended
This program meets the College of Family Physicians of Canada for mainpro M1 credits. This course is an accredited Group Learning activity (Section 1) as defined by the maintenance of certification program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
Required for completion card